Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail

The story goes,  that the name Wheatear derives from the expression 'white arse', a perfect description of how this bird appears as it flies away.

But I did manage a few pictures before it did.


Another sunny morning, and after spending some time around the car park area with the singing birds; Robin, Blackbird, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Wren and Blue Tits, I eventually made my way round the north lake.

A Kingfisher was in the bushes, by his nest, and a Heron was looking rather splendid in the early sunlight.




He didn't stay for too long though, and was soon airborne.





By now the time was getting on, and a few people were out jogging and dog walking.

I must make an effort to get up a bit earlier in future.


Top end of the north lake had the Mute Swans, content with their nest site, even if I have my reservations about where it is.
A Crow has a perfect spot however, on top of the pubs windmill structure; well away from people and dogs.

Onto the south lake, but today, no sign of yesterdays Redstart.


A small group of Greylag Geese were busily grazing, at the side of the footpath,




and one individual didn't want any other geese near him.




He spent a lot of time chasing the others away, if they dared get too close to him.



At the far end, a Crow was tormenting the pair of Magpies around their nest; much to their annoyance.

Past the rowing club, towards the houses, and by chance I decided to walk across the grass, rather than follow the footpath. I'm glad I did.




A fine looking Wheatear was standing, admiring the view, that the residents of the houses pay a lot of money for.


A couple of House Martins flew overhead, and circled back over the roofs of the houses. And as I watched them, I noticed a bird perched up there.



 A Yellow Wagtail.

Then a second one appeared.




I wondered why they were so high up, but once I'd looked at the pictures on the computer, I could see why.



 Flies. Lots of them, flying around the roof.


Eventually I made my way back to the car park, and one last look at the feeders.
As I reached my car, I looked up, to see a single Swallow fly overhead.


Another great morning.








Full list of today's sightings


Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
British Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava flavissima)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes indigenus)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Northern Wheatear [sp] (Oenanthe oenanthe)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Blackcap [sp] (Sylvia atricapilla)
Common Chiffchaff [sp] (Phylloscopus collybita)
Willow Warbler [sp] (Phylloscopus trochilus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Jay (Garrulus glandarius rufitergum)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)
Reed Bunting [sp] (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Total species  38